View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny McBrutal

re: Minetest or Minecraft?

So since my son is visiting with me this summer, he finally got me to succumb to trying out this Minecraft craze. At first I was like ok its a fun little toy. I have Minecraft PE installed on my phone which is pretty extensive for a little app.

After messing around a while I decided to look up the PC version and see how much it was. I was kind of put off at it being like $26 dollars retail. To me thats over $100 for a game, since I know I would not be the only one in my house getting a copy.

Forum Image

I started to look for a free version clone and came across Minetest an open source copy of the game with some pretty rad mods, copied from Minecraft modders etc. Over the weekend several of us gave it a try and minus me screwing up the server a lot installing new mods. People really seemed to enjoy it. More so than any game ever offered to the the Warrior board of inquiry.

To me both games are pretty cool but I'm more for destroying than building pretty houses. Fortunately both versions have pvp features which can really be built upon.

Right now I'm thinking zombie mobs and pvp arenas custom built by our like minds of obliteration. This still leads to questions I have for all of you.

One - Do you have Minecraft? Do you enjoy playing it?

Two - If you don't have a copy like myself. Would you be interested in trying out Minetest?

If we stick to our rule of only trying free games Minetest is already the winner. I think we can build some pretty crazy stuff, especially with the tech mods for mine carts, wind mills and solar powered tools. Guns are included.

To set up a serious server for Minetest, glitch free and fast I would have to rent a server for $11 dollars a month. It would be a new era for gaming for all of us new to the world. We can make almost any game we would want. If I rented this sever. Would any of you be willing to help support it? Moderators taking turns and donations would be wanted. If each of us kicked a dollar a month we could do this pretty easy. Right now server costs for us are around $25 a month to keep our web and team speak server going.

If many of you have Minecraft, I would be willing to spend and get the official version if you would like to go that route.

This game presented is not meant for all of us to leave our favorite games now, but would rather serve as our kickback club house on the net when we are sick of the grind. The popularity I saw over the weekend would definitely bring us new players to the guild in big numbers, crafters and pvpers alike.

Check out the vids and please give thought out responses. Feed back is much appreciated.

Angryshadow
General

Haha! Yes, I do have Minecraft. Both of my boys play it as well, and it's been taking up a bit of my time for the past couple weeks, which is why I haven't been around STO as much as I probably should. I haven't tried any of the PvP stuff on it but, have played online with my kids and their friends. I...hate...creepers...

I do own Minecraft and a sever of our own sounds brilliant. I'd definitely be up for that.
Johnny McBrutal

I've been looking at server hosting. The two that get talked about the most I'm posting here. I think we can get one that works for us for about $12 dollars a month. They said its a good idea to install the bukkit mod to help keep the server going.

http://www.beastnode.com/

https://cubedhost.org - these guys cost a few dollars more and I'm really not sure they offer better service than beast node. I heard adding mods is as simple as drag and drop with them.

-Steady as the mountain
-Beat a mother fucker, with another mother fucker
-Piss excellence across the galaxy
-You seriously still reading these???

Angryshadow
General

I personally have no clue as far as which server is best. My boys have played with their friends quite often, located in various places. I can ask them to find out which server they were on, assuming they used on, and get feedback on it? Or...once he finally logs into the web site, one of them can read this thread and comment about it himself. I know you're the one that supports the TS as well as the site here, so while a MC server would be nice as you stated, I'm not going to press for it. Now, I'm certainly not saying I won't join in to play though...

My little brother and I played with our friends, One lives in the states, one is Australia, and the other one some place that I can't remember. We didn't use a server we used our computers as the server and the hamachi client as the log in device. The server world has all the addons that are on the host's computer. Minecraft is wonderful in the way that once you buy it you do not need to buy it again ( sorta like Diablo 1-3, Guild Wars 1-2, and The sims) and the updates are free. Minetest would have to wait about a week after Notch(dev+owner of minecraft) updates MC to update MT after they go through the strings of programing data and see whats new. Since the new launch tool was introduced a couple weeks ago I would have to look up how to do MPMC to see if its still done the same way we did it. Let my father or myself know if you decide to go the MC way. I have no clue about how to play MPMT sorry. I found a link for computer hosting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqnzKJyzyXw
One for the server service http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-XMNHPD7fY
Johnny McBrutal

Minetest is pretty simple, I run a dns app on my pc which gives me an ip for everyone to connect with. You click on the advanced tab, put in the ip and port number much like TeamSpeak. Make sure to change the screen name from Guest to whatever you want. They have a password option for you to make your account unique so no one else can log in with your name. It's free with no registration. The server I'm running right now I have to restart every few hours.

It's ok for now. I think in a week or so we are going to go Minecraft.

If anyone wants to mess with MT we will be on most of Sunday today. Join our team speak and I will walk you through setting up. It's something for fun till we get the official.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Weekend-Warriors Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: